Barlet Starlet's Life Less Ordinary

Barlet Starlet provides a strange combination of humour, cynicism and moxy, with a healthy dash of gosh-darn it mentality and romantic idealism. Stir. Pour.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Goodbye, my bathing beauty...

She was my hero for the first years of my life. A shining example of the riches that life had to offer when we were not so young, and not so tight of skin. I admired her like the sun, and everyone wanted to be near her, to touch her, to make her notice you so that she would laugh her laugh and give you a hug.

The moonlit nights in August, the light playing off the water. It is frozen like a stillshot in my mind. Getting the towels for us, for her - her bathing cap. And the little girls and older woman would wind their way down the cottage stairway, stepping gingerly over the pine needles, until we reached the dock. Then, she would take away that towel, take away that bathing suit and for a glimpsing second we would watch her execute a perfect dive from the board. Only the moon on her back, and her silvery laugh over the lake. Just her. And her bathing cap.

Goodbye Grandma. My bathing beauty.

January 16th 2006.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:07 a.m., Blogger Jennifer said…

    My grandmother dies and I get spam. Ah well, she DID like Monty Python I suppose...

     
  • At 5:25 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It makes me feel terrible that I had not left a comment when I first read this. I apologize to you, my friend.

     
  • At 2:56 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I feel for your loss. This was such an poignant and beautiful tribute to your Grandma. She's watching out for you and your new life so don't forget that.

    I also have to say shame on the tacky people who used this post as a way to promote their own blogs.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Is my Blog HOT or NOT?

«xBlogxPhilesx»

http://ping.blo.gs/?name=Barlet Starlet's Life Less Ordinary&url=http://barletstarlet.blogspot.com/.