Barlet Starlet's Life Less Ordinary

Barlet Starlet provides a strange combination of humour, cynicism and moxy, with a healthy dash of gosh-darn it mentality and romantic idealism. Stir. Pour.

Monday, November 28, 2005

Truly One of a Kind

One of my all time favourite things is happening tonight...I'm going to the One of a Kind Show in Toronto. The One of a Kind Show is, at its most base level, a craft show. But it is so much more than that...oh so much more. The crafts (they prefer the term "artisanal designs") range from the edible (gourmet candy apples, home-made pepper jellies, and the ubiquitous fudge) to the luxury and ill-afforable (lapis lazuli brooches, endless strings of pearls, and carved amethyst rock).

I try and get all of my Christmas shopping done here, every year. Last year, I picked up a personalized apron for my mother...a Bond-style girl lounging like a mudflap lady at the bottom, "Margarita Mamma" emblazoned on the top. I also love the edibles and go to great lengths to snaffle the samples...last year an alcohol pickled garlic clove (yes, you heard me...clove) took me to new heights of ecstacy (and yes, stinkiness), only tempered by the melting, aching sweetness of shortbread that didn't need to be chewed as much as absorbed. I bought packets for everyone I knew. Ok, and one for me.

As with any show of this size, there are duds. But that is part of the pleasure...going into hysterics at the mere sight of certain products just makes the day all worthwhile. For example, the miniature fruit stall. It looks great, but what on earth do you do with miniature fruit? Lose it, I suppose. Find it down the sofa? I don't know.

I simply cannot wait until 5.30pm to find out what this years show will hold...oh, oh, will the lady with the freaky faced fairies by there? Oh, what about the person who carves faces into tree trunks? And will the woman who created thousands upon thousands of pink tulle tutus for dressup be there? God, I hope so...I've been promising myself a crown of ribbon and glitter this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Is my Blog HOT or NOT?

«xBlogxPhilesx»

http://ping.blo.gs/?name=Barlet Starlet's Life Less Ordinary&url=http://barletstarlet.blogspot.com/.