Barlet Starlet's Life Less Ordinary

Barlet Starlet provides a strange combination of humour, cynicism and moxy, with a healthy dash of gosh-darn it mentality and romantic idealism. Stir. Pour.

Monday, August 15, 2005

The Longest Weekend Ever: Rant Number 1

Since I have so much jiggling around my head right now, I'm not going to put it all in one excruciatingly long and paranoid post...I've decided to let you taste the insanity in bite sized pieces. So here we go. I shall entitle this post:

Massive Aggressiveness

My step-mother is a piece of work. And terribly clever to boot. Which makes for a very dangerous combination to first born children. While I have yet to see her magic mirror, I have no doubt it exists...probably stashed away with her "Big Book O Zingers" that she occasionally quotes from. She is the Queen of Passive Aggressive Behaviour, and the worst thing about passive aggressiveness, is that you feel this sense of paranoia, that YOU are going crazy, that "she couldn't have possibily been doing this on purpose...this can't be part of a master plan...can it?"

It started with the issue with hosting out engagement party. My dear BM, L, wanted to host, but the location fell through. A week before the party, she asked my Dad if we could hold it at his "house" aka. the mansion, instead. He agreed wholeheartedly. Then the whining began. Step-mum was too tired to clean, too stressed about "the favour" they were doing, humming and hahing over whether they would be ready in time, since they had to do things like pick up the dog crap from around the pool (! Shouldn't you be doing this anyway?!).

Anyway, I got there at 2.15pm for the party at 3pm, after my haircut and a makeup trial, because I thought, "Well, I should look my best for all of these people etc". I helped finish setting up, got dressed, came downstairs and there is my half-sister, decked to the absolute nines. Turns out, she had got a haircut, colour and highlights, a makeup application, manicure and pedicure...AND SHE'S ONLY 14!! Ah, so THAT'S what my step-mum was up to...it just KILLS her that I am the centre of some attention for once, so she went and spent $500 on getting HER daughter all made up. And guess what? It worked like a charm.

"Oh, T, you look so amazing"
"Wow, T you really look great"
"My goodness T, you've changed so much!"
"T, you look GORGEOUS!"

Hello?! WTF? So great, completely overshadowed. Again, if you want an example of why this is important to me, see earlier posts. Basically, I stand in the shadows so much that THIS ONE TIME I would like to be recognized as important or at the very least, interesting. But no, that couldn't even happen once. So, that's one example of passive aggressiveness. Another was when step-mum refused to put on makeup for the party. This is a woman who doesn't go anywhere without looking fabulous. It was her way of saying "This isn't even important enough for me to clean up for".

Another was when my Dad did a small toast...he congratulated us and was very sweet. Then my step-mum clinked her glass and said "I just want to add..." and I thought she was going to welcome MF or say something about their first daughter getting married or somesuch. Nope. She thanked L and my brother for organizing the event. That was all. I mean, they should definitely be thanked, but right then? Come on!!

Again, the point of passive aggressiveness is that you don't know if it is all in your head, or whether they ARE actually out to get you. I guess we all just have to make up our minds for ourselves!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Is my Blog HOT or NOT?

«xBlogxPhilesx»

http://ping.blo.gs/?name=Barlet Starlet's Life Less Ordinary&url=http://barletstarlet.blogspot.com/.