Barlet Starlet's Life Less Ordinary

Barlet Starlet provides a strange combination of humour, cynicism and moxy, with a healthy dash of gosh-darn it mentality and romantic idealism. Stir. Pour.

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Dispatches from Algoniquin: Issue 2 - The Journey

I forgot about the journey because I was so focused on the destination. A mini-break tends to do that to you...all you can think of is getting to wherever you are going in less and less time, and you forget that the road trip exists as part of the break too.

On the way up to Algonquin, we stopped for ice cream at Kawartha Dairy in Minden. They have some of the best ice cream outside of Vermont. After tantalizing my way through the mysteriously titled "Wolf Paws", "Moose Tracks", and "Beaver doo-doo" (I made that last one up), I decided on the slightly less enigmatic "Death by Chocolate". It was nice settling on that picnic table in the blaring sun trying to injest as much as possible before I spilt it on myself. Spilling is less of a maybe, more of a given with me, so I had to be quick.

On the way back, it was a different story. MF felt that we had to hustle to avoid traffic. No stops. I really wanted to just laze my way back, stop when we felt like it, maybe even explore those odd but fascinating local attractions. Oh what I would have given for the World's Largest Ball of Twine. But stopping wasn't an option, we were going home and dammit, we were going to make good time.

Thinking about this ring on my finger, and what it means / meant to me is odd. I used to think of it as a means to an end...finally I am progressing, I will finally be able to reach a destination. Now I see it more of a journey, my time to savour the moment because this place, this state of being, will be over soon. I wanted to eat life like an ice cream in the sun, quickly, hastily, in perfection and to the note. I think now I shall let some of life spill on me, to enjoy the journey - mishaps and all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Is my Blog HOT or NOT?

«xBlogxPhilesx»

http://ping.blo.gs/?name=Barlet Starlet's Life Less Ordinary&url=http://barletstarlet.blogspot.com/.