Barlet Starlet's Life Less Ordinary

Barlet Starlet provides a strange combination of humour, cynicism and moxy, with a healthy dash of gosh-darn it mentality and romantic idealism. Stir. Pour.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Simple times...

When I was six, I remember wanting to be a princess when I grew up. Or a mermaid. They seemed like fairly simple professions. The mermaid job description would probably go something like this:

Wanted: Mermaid
Good personal hygiene essential. Long blonde wavy hair a plus. Must be prepared to show some skin. Duties include lounging on rocks and wooing sailors to their death. Cute sea-based sidekick optional.

A little later on, I decided to be an editor. Don't know exactly where that came from. Or a ballerina. I wrote an essay about it actually. It won a prize.

What I want to be when I grow up, by Barlet Starlet
When I grow up I want to be a ballerina, because I like the dresses and I like the steps.

Ok, obviously I didn't have much competition, but hey, that's what I wanted to be. Later on, my plans would focus on journalism, science, television, the army, advertising, creative writing, politics and policing. A diverse group of vocations. Except for the army and advertising...plenty in common.

I still don't know what I want to be. What makes me happy and what I can earn money doing are two very separate things. They say, "find what you love to do and make a living from it" but I don't think the pay is too great for someone who wants to watch Dr. Phil, scrapbook and eat danish pastries all day. Or maybe I've found a niche in the market.

Right now, I could see myself running a little gift shop full of wonderful locally made produce and art, sewing quilts to order. It's funny that we spend the good years, the young years, struggling and pushing to make ends meet, sacrificing what we want to do for what we have to do...and then you are 65 and retired, getting to do whatever you want, and you are old and haven't the energy.

Right! I'm inspired now!!

I'm going to buy a lottery ticket.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Is my Blog HOT or NOT?

«xBlogxPhilesx»

http://ping.blo.gs/?name=Barlet Starlet's Life Less Ordinary&url=http://barletstarlet.blogspot.com/.