Barlet Starlet's Life Less Ordinary

Barlet Starlet provides a strange combination of humour, cynicism and moxy, with a healthy dash of gosh-darn it mentality and romantic idealism. Stir. Pour.

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

My birthday approacheth...

...hence my minor fixation on gifts right now.

Yet I don't want anything, how strange is that? I suppose this feeling came about because I am so used to people not celebrating my birthday, or just simply being disappointed. In about a week I'll get a call from my Dad's secretary, asking what I want. I don't know what to tell her. "My Dad's love and respect" seems a tall order.

Mummy-moo is sending cash for me to buy some underwear. I need something frilly and non-practical right now, since my head is up in painting, gardening, renovating...soon I'll have blonde women knocking at my door demanding that I give back my "girly-girl" membership card and my pink high heels. So, no Bridget Jones gitches for me.

In our earlier days, MB tried so hard on my birthday, and inevitably upset me in the process. Case in point: My friend H wanted to take me for a birthday facial and manicure which was really a nice idea. It was my birthday-day, and since MB said he would have to work at his parents during the day, I said yes, I'd go with H. However, I was meant to catch the train at 5-ish so that I could go home. I assumed that MB would want to do something on my birthday night, like cook a nice dinner or even take me out, but he hadn't told me if he was doing anything at all (we had been dating a year and living together for 6 months at this point). So, I've had my facial and am wandering around downtown with no makeup on (shocker for me) and I go to catch the train. I call MB and let him know which train I am on so that he can pick me up at the station. He tells me that he's really sorry, but his parents need more work done, and he can't pick me up on the 5pm train. He says catch the 8.30pm train instead, he'll be done by then. I hang up and burst into tears...so he didn't plan anything! By the time I get in at 9.30pm there won't be time to go out for dinner or anything. H puts her arms around me and tells me it will be ok, and says we should go for a drink instead. So, bawling my eyes out, we wander onto the patio of a nice restaurant, and I proceed to drink some wine. I am so upset and angry, I can't believe he has done this to me! H tells me she wants to sit inside because she is cold, so we go in and there is MB with 6 of our friends, with a surprise dinner for me. Well, if he hadn't upset me, this would have been a lovely surprise, but I am so sad and so angry that I can't even speak to him. I have no makeup on, red-eyes, and I'm furious. Major backfire. Afterwards he gets angry at me for not being more chipper. The nerve. Anyway, I think I've mellowed since, but that was just one example of a birthday gone awry.

I haven't heard if MB will do anything this year, I'm sure something will occur, I just don't know what to expect. I haven't been telling (reminding) anyone of my birthday either, just because I am tired of being the one "forcing" people to recognize me, even if it is for only one day. Let them come to me. But that's another post altogether.

I will be playing softball on my birthday, so we'll see what happens.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:44 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Barlet Starlet I am on a quest looking for information on romantic birthday idea. I ran across your blog doing a search and thought I would stop by to see if you had any information. Hey, it is nice to see that other people like the same things I do. Anyway thanks for the read.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Is my Blog HOT or NOT?

«xBlogxPhilesx»

http://ping.blo.gs/?name=Barlet Starlet's Life Less Ordinary&url=http://barletstarlet.blogspot.com/.