Barlet Starlet's Life Less Ordinary

Barlet Starlet provides a strange combination of humour, cynicism and moxy, with a healthy dash of gosh-darn it mentality and romantic idealism. Stir. Pour.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

More words I can't pronounce

As if I needed more reasons to have people laugh at me, here are the words I simply cannot pronounce properly (either by sheer inability, or by cultural preference for an alternative)

  • Innovative (I have to spell it out in my head every single time I say it...inn-oh-vay-tive)
  • Souvlaki (no, not sloo-vaki, soov-laki. I have to correct myself every...single...time)
  • Urinal (I pronounce it ur-inn-al, as you do in England, as opposed to u-rine-al, the North American way)
  • Vitamin (I say vit-a-min, you say vite-a-min...I get many a chuckle)
  • Yogurt (no, it's not yo-gurt, is yog-urt)
  • Aluminium (with the extra i...I get corrected all the time, and I recorrect them right back)

I'm sure there are many, many more cultural alternatives involving long a's (bath, banana, tomato) and lots of simply incorrect words (like the first time someone told me they liked my pants, and I thought my undies were showing). Ah, misunderstandings...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Is my Blog HOT or NOT?

«xBlogxPhilesx»

http://ping.blo.gs/?name=Barlet Starlet's Life Less Ordinary&url=http://barletstarlet.blogspot.com/.