Barlet Starlet's Life Less Ordinary

Barlet Starlet provides a strange combination of humour, cynicism and moxy, with a healthy dash of gosh-darn it mentality and romantic idealism. Stir. Pour.

Friday, June 10, 2005

I'm going to be a Mrs!

Oh my lord, what a couple of days! I don't even know where to start, wow!

I guess at the beginning would be the best point, yes? I'll tell the story from my perspective then I will add the behind-the-scenes stuff that MB told me afterwards.

I finished up my fortune cookie post on Wednesday afternoon, after purposefully not putting in anything about getting engaged, it just seemed too trite. MB called me on his cell as he always does, telling me he's at my work to take me home. But, he says, just like Tuesday when he came to pick me up, there was some guy blocking the driveway and he was waiting around at the front instead. So I go out to meet him but I can't see our car. There is a huge limo there, but no car. I didn't think anything of the limo, the boss of the company was probably taking it to the airport. But then the driver calls over, takes my hand and kisses it and tells me that MB is in the car.

Well, he opens the door, and there is MB in his finest clothes, haircut and red rose in hand for me. I can't stop smiling, and I ask him what's going on and he says that he has wanted to do something romantic for a long time, and that he has saved up to take me out to a very nice restaurant. I am smiling and thrilled, how nice! The funny thing is, it never crossed my mind that this would be leading to a proposal!

So, he pours me the champagne that he was keeping on ice, and pulls over a duffle bag. I'm thinking "Oh no, he's taking me away somewhere!" which would have been nice, but I can't take any time off work yet...so now I'm thinking he's called my boss and ok'd the time off, and I'm getting nervous about that. But no, inside the bag are two changes of clothes, my favourite black dress and a more summery pink one, shoes and undies to match! I couldn't believe it, this is the guy who couldn't even begin to match a pair of shoes to an outfit, and here it is all done?! Unbelievable.

So I choose the black dress and shoes and get changed in the back of the limo while he sips his champagne. He tells me we are going to this very fancy restaurant that he took me to for my birthday last year, and so I'm really excited...the only thing better than roses and champagne is FOOD! We get to the restaurant, and he tells me we have to take an umbrella because it's a 50% chance of rain. I don't care, so we check the umbrella and we are sat at this huge table. I can't stop smiling and we have the most amazing meal. I am absolutely stuffed, and he asks if I want dessert. It crosses my mind, but I thought it probably isn't best to overdo it, so I say no and order a coffee instead. Still no clue.

My coffee comes out, then MB's brandy comes out. Then, the waitress brings over a platter, covered in rose petals with a big chocolate in the middle. STILL no clue. I ask what it is, thinking it is a dessert that the restaurant threw in for free. MB suddenly stands up and says "I know what this is" and he picks up the "chocolate" which is actually a shiny, rich brown box, and comes over to my side of the table. The waitress pulls the table back and THEN (finally) I clue in what's going on. My hands fly up to my face (sidenote: girls, why do we do that?) and he says "I was wondering if you would do me the honour of being my wife?" to which I reply:

"Are you kidding me?"

Which has to be the all time stupid response. Yes, actually, he IS kidding me. The limo, the rose, the champagne, the dinner, the ring...yeah, it's all a joke.

Then of course I scream "yes!" and everyone in the restaurant claps and we hug. It was the most surreal moment of my entire life. I can hardly remember him asking me, it was just such a blur, it felt like the world went sideways for a moment.

Afterwards, we swung by my brother's house to let him and his girlfriend know (she may be a bridesmaid, I don't know yet though!) and then on to a patio overlooking the city for drinks. Picked up by the limo at 11.30pm before I turned completely into a pumpkin. Wow. My head was spinning.

So, the behind the scenes stuff. MB had chosen the ring about a month ago. He went with a friend of ours (thank GOD) because he was looking at chain stores at first, who really rip you off with their crazy prices. Instead, she took him to a custom jewellers, and he chose a loose diamond and setting (I am SO proud). Seriously, I couldn't have picked a better ring, and I have never seen anything like it in my life. I'll have to work out how to post pictures because it is GORGEOUS! It's a solitaire in a tiffany setting in white gold. Well, he was hiding the ring in the umbrella of all places, because the box was so huge and wouldn't fit in his pocket. He had asked my Dad's permission two days previously (aw, that really meant a lot) and he couldn't wait to do it! He was almost about to ask me in the limo, but then decided to wait, he was that excited!

So, after a day off work to get used to it all, I'm back. I don't even know where to start. I just can't believe I am marrying this wonderful man. I am truly the luckiest woman in the world.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Is my Blog HOT or NOT?

«xBlogxPhilesx»

http://ping.blo.gs/?name=Barlet Starlet's Life Less Ordinary&url=http://barletstarlet.blogspot.com/.